I truly enjoy cooking and in fact, this sauce is one I am often asked to make. The recipe is for 1 kilo of meat. It will serve between 10 and 15 people depending on how big the portions are. If you need more, double, triple, or whatever! I hope you’ll enjoy it with people you love…
Joanna’s Spaghetti Sauce
- This isn’t actually the original Bolognese recipe but it works for us!
- Before starting to cook… put on some nice Italian music (or ask the local musicians to play a tune…)
½ kilo ground pork
½ kilo ground beef
2 Italian sausages (cut in pieces)
100 g. bacon (diced)
Salt and pepper
¾ cup red wine
1 4-cup can of tomato sauce
5 cloves of garlic
1 large green pepper
10 Roma tomatoes
1 T. chicken consommé powder (Maggi)
1 tsp dried fennel seed
½ tsp. pepper
1 T dried basil
1 T dried oregano
1 T dried rosemary
2 T. sugar
Sauté the garlic in the olive oil. When it’s golden-colored (be careful not to let it burn), remove the cloves from the oil and set to one side.
Add the meats and brown for ten minutes, breaking up any really large chunks.
Add the chopped vegetables, one by one (continue cooking for 5 min.)
Add the spices
Add the tomato puree and sauce
Add the wine.
- I always make the sauce at least a day before we plan on eating it. This gives the flavors a chance to mature.
- Serve the sauce over spaghetti and accompany with a green salad, garlic bread and a full-bodied red wine
- Have some tropical fruit ice cream (mango, lemon, coconut or …) for dessert.
Bonus Question: Do you know who the two sculptures depict?
Photo credit: marions-kochbuch.com (Spaghetti plate) The rest are from our Italy trip a few years ago