I have been asked to let you all know of several events that are coming up
Here’s the information:
- ASAP: First off… a reminder from “Yours truly” Yesterday Jorge and I bought our tickets for the Symphony of Yucatan’s performances from now until June. Although the tickets went on sale just last Friday, already many of the best seats had been taken. So if you wish to purchase yours, you had best get to the sales office as soon as you can: lobby of the Teatro Peon Contreras – corner of Calles 60 & 57
- Friday January 20th: Jorge Fichtl, Manager of the Amate English Language Bookstore, extends an invitation to the Mérida international community to attend a gathering from 7-10 PM at Amate . The purpose of the gathering is to explore ideas for creating a cultural center and a meeting place for Mérida residents. There will be some break-out groups to discuss pre-selected topics, but any and all ideas are welcome.
* Beverages will be offered with a suggested donation. Contribution of botanas would be appreciated.
* Kindly send an RSVP to Jorge at: amatebookmerida @gmail,com or call 924 3507 Website: http://amatebooks.com/Tienda%20Merida.php
- February 11th: A wonderful evening of jazz music under the full moon is in store! The proceeds from this event will go towards the purchase of school supplies and uniforms for disadvantaged children who live in the community of Telchac Puerto. See you there! Email me for info on where to buy tickets: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get your tickets ASAP for: Mérida’s Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre,
This light-hearted comedy is a Whodunit Mérida-style! “Murder in Mérida: Love Kills” is an interactive performance following the traditional structure of the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre – introduce the characters, kill one of them, then figure out who did it. During each break between acts, a different course of the meal is served and characters mingle with the audience helping to make sense of the clues provided. Inspector Gustavo and the rest of the cast will have you in stitches as you figure out “Whodunit”! For an evening of fun, mischief and laughs, you won’t want to miss “Murder in Mérida: Love Kills”.
Tickets available through Hennessy’s Irish Pub 999-923-8993
Ticket price $375 pesos includes three –course dinner and show.
(alcoholic beverages billed separately)
Sunday March 4: 2:00pm matinee
Monday, March 5: 8:00pm
Tuesday, March 6: 8:00pm
Wednesday, March 7: 8:00pm
Thursday, March 8: 8:00pm
*Seating ½ hour before show. Please come early.
Please visit the website to meet the cast! www.meridamysterytheatre.com
Proceeds from the show go to help two not-for-profits AMANC and Evolución A.C.
- February 16 – 19: This event is not being held in Merida but I want you to know about it. I have been to several of the conferences and have found them to be excellent
7th Annual San Miguel International Writers’ Conference & Literary Festival
A Bilingual Conference for Writers & Readers
“Creative Crossroads of the Americas”
February 16 – 19, 2012
Optional Intensive Workshops: February 20 & 21, 2012
Featuring Margaret Atwood, Elena Poniatowska, Joy Harjo, and Naomi Wolf
42+ world-class speakers, instructors & agents: One-on-one pitch sessions with agents; 42 workshop options (choose six); keynotes and panels; individual consultations with seasoned professionals; open mic; manuscript contest; bookstore; live performance: That Dorothy Parker; receptions; spectacular Mexican Fiesta; guided excursions. Gourmet dining all week!